* Archbishop Chaput and Bishop Conley of Denver
* Cardinal Egan of New York (probably the strongest statement)
* Archbishop Donald Weurl of Washington D.C.
* Cardinal Justin Rigali of Philadelphia and Bishop William Lori of Bridgeport on
behalf of the USCCB (on USCCB homepage)
* Bishop Sheridan of Colorado Springs
* Bishop Zubik of Pittsburgh (on homepage)
* Archbishop Neinstadt of St. Paul, MN (on homepage)
* Archbishop Gomez and Bishop Contu of San Antonio, TX (on homepage)
* Bishop Samuel Aquila of Fargo, ND
* Bishop Farell of Dallas, TX NEW
Here's Cardinal Egan's statement:
STATEMENT OF HIS EMINENCE, EDWARD CARDINAL EGAN CONCERNING REMARKS MADE BY THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Like many other citizens of this nation, I was shocked to learn that the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States of America would make the kind of statements that were made to Mr. Tom Brokaw of NBC-TV on Sunday, August 24, 2008. What the Speaker had to say about theologians and their positions regarding abortion was not only misinformed; it was also, and especially, utterly incredible in this day and age.
We are blessed in the 21st century with crystal-clear photographs and action films of the living realities within their pregnant mothers. No one with the slightest measure of integrity or honor could fail to know what these marvelous beings manifestly, clearly, and obviously are, as they smile and wave into the world outside the womb. In simplest terms, they are human beings with an inalienable right to live, a right that the Speaker of the House of Representatives is bound to defend at all costs for the most basic of ethical reasons. They are not parts of their mothers, and what they are depends not at all upon the opinions of theologians of any faith. Anyone who dares to defend that they may be legitimately killed because another human being “chooses” to do so or for any other equally ridiculous reason should not be providing leadership in a civilized democracy worthy of the name.
Edward Cardinal Egan
Archbishop of New York
August 26, 2008